About the Company
UMF Medical manufactures the most innovative exam tables and procedure chairs in the industry. Healthcare providers are being asked to do more with less. UMF Medical’s complete exam room solutions are designed to help providers meet changing requirements. With accessible casework, mobile cabinets, physician stools and chairs, UMF Medical offers solutions to meet the needs of a changing patient population and backs these quality products with the longest warranties in the industry.
At UMF Medical, our passion is pulling together as a team. We're always on the lookout for enthusiastic, talented people to join our team. We live by our Core Values of Delivering a 5-Star customer experience, Teamwork, Innovative Growth Mindset, Checking Egos at the Door, and Commitment.
UMF Medical’s Associate Mechanical Design Engineer is a member of the New Product Development team in a challenger brand company within the Medical Device industry. Following the Design Thinking process, this Engineer designs products aligned to meet market needs and create innovative products for UMF Medical. Accountable for delivering products specified within the product roadmap on time and within budget. Works to achieve company vision by accomplishing key performance metrics established within the Entrepreneurs Operating System (EOS).
- Design products according to specifications provided by Marketing Team, following the Design Thinking Model to achieve rapid New Product launches.
- Translate market requirements into workable product and service solutions that will translate product/service features into sales/marketing features.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams throughout all phases of Design Thinking for new product launches to help foster a Culture of Innovation.
- Understand and design for manufacturability within Company’s competencies and according to FDA and UL Quality Standards
- Provide Project Management of new products, working through process flows and procedures to meet or exceed launch schedules, including securing regulatory approvals.
- Guide manufacturing development of new products in a seamless transition to production, including small pre-production runs, assembly line design/layout, etc.
- Discover, analyze and determine materials that meet market and budget requirements
- Support the Integrated Supply Chain team in ‘make vs. buy’ decisions for components and assemblies., Discover, evaluate, and choose manufacturing partners for production components and assemblies, and manage tool design, development, and implementation timelines
- Coordinate Drafting, BOM, Purchasing, & Inventory Management work required for new product launch.
- Manage multiple projects at the same time, both small scale and large scale
Engineering Skill Set
- Familiarity with Design Thinking process
- New product development experience, 1-3 years preferred.
- Sheetmetal manufacturing experience, 1-3 years preferred.
- Knowledge of medical device industry and IEC60601-1 or UL60601-1 or DMAIC Process Excellence Certification.
- Knowledge of CAD Systems, SolidWorks Preferred
- Finite Element Analysis experience
- Experience in material selection and component and product sourcing, both domestically and internationally
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Products, particularly Excel
- Experience with ERP systems and ability to learn new systems quickly.
Problem Solving/ Decision Making
- Team-oriented personality and internal drive to go above and beyond to get the job done to optimize the customer experience.
- Ability to translate customer requirements into intuitive, aesthetically designed products that meet and exceed customer needs.
- Ability to develop products for efficient and cost-effective manufacturing to meet margin requirements at target market price.
- Ability to continuously improve products for cost reduction, customer ease of use and to meet evolving clinical needs with sound, thoughtfully developed solutions in collaboration with a team.
- Solutions should minimize risk to the organization.
Motivation and Initiative
- The focus of this specialized, technically oriented position is on meeting and exceeding high standards of quality and customer satisfaction.
- A thoughtful, persevering, self-disciplined approach to achieving accurate, detailed work is essential.
- Creative problem solver with technical expertise and experience and a strong commitment to efficiently achieve high quality results.
- Because of the fast-paced job environment, decisions must be made quickly and firmly, within the defined scope of job authority and based on job expertise.
- Excellent communication skills, an ability to drive for results and effect change, while making a positive difference in the organization.
- Ability to provide clear and collaborative direction to members of manufacturing team.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering preferred. Equivalent experience of non-degreed individuals will be considered.
This job allows for autonomy and independence while working collaboratively with cross-functional teams and providing clear direction to manufacturing team. Associate Mechanical Design Engineer is a valued expert expected to deliver high quality, accurate results while efficiently maintaining and enhancing existing organizational systems and standards and providing the technical information and analysis required by members of the team.
Reports to: Innovation Leader
Works collaboratively with Marketing, Manufacturing Design Engineers, Production, Supply Chain
UMF Medical is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, veteran status, age, sexual preference, marital status, or disability.